Have you ever squeezed an orange peel or walked through a garden of flowers and enjoyed their fragrances? If so, you have already experienced an example of the aromatic qualities of essential oils. Essential oils are found in the bark, seeds, stems, roots, flowers, and other parts of plants. While essential oils are vital in the development and health of plants, individuals have long been able to benefit from their natural benefits in many aspects of day-to-day life.
Here are two ways in which essential oils are extracted from Plants
1. Low-Heat Distillation: Essential oils are most often extracted from plants through distillation, a process in which steam is circulated under pressure through plant material, liberating the plant’s aromatic compounds into the steam. As the steam cools, the mixture condenses and the essential oils are collected in their purest form.
2. Cold Pressed: A process used to extract oils from citrus rinds by using low heat and pressure.
Here are the three most popular methods for using essential oils
Essential oils have been used for centuries in many cultures for their therapeutic qualities and have profound health benefits in the hands of experienced users. Single oils and even complex blends are effectively used in the following three ways:
1. Aromatic: The volatile nature of essential oils allows them to be easily evaporated and diffused throughout a larger space. Using this application method helps create an atmosphere where several individuals can enjoy the calming, stimulating, and soothing benefits of essential oils.
2. Topical: Essential oils are safely and easily absorbed by the skin allowing you to use a variety of topical application techniques to different parts of your body.
3. Internal: Whether you are taking capsules or the oil itself, essential oils can be used as dietary supplements supporting a variety of healthy conditions
A quick story!
Recently the family dog was having trouble breathing, so I grabbed a bottle of Breath out of my Family Physician Kit and put 1 drop of oil on my hand and rubbed it onto his chest. I breathed a sigh of relief when in no time at all he was his normal rambunctious self again.